— Lykke Li (via mttbll)
Toward the end of the session, Josef Breitenbach asked James Joyce if there were some special pose or gesture that he would wish recorded. Joyce thought for a moment, and raised his hand to his forehead. Then he let the hand pass over his eyes, covering them. When the hand cradled his nose and chin, Joyce indicated that this was the pose, and Breitenbach pressed the shutter.
From the portfolio “Ten Portraits” in our Winter 1983 issue.
BPBD — Best Portuguese Book Designs
What an awesome logo.
Anonymous asked: what do you think about jason segel playing dfw in a movie with jesse eisenberg?
If I wanted to design a personal hell for David Foster Wallace, I would
- summon a golem from the ashes of his strangled body,
- put a $ on its forehead,
- deprive it of the third dimension,
- reduce it to a quaking shadow,
- and project it on screen after screen after screen,
- to prop up a road movie with the kid from facebook.
My thoughts exactly.
— Pam Houston (via mttbll)
Egyptian protestors shine laser lights on a military helicopter flying over the presidential palace in Cairo, on June 30, 2013, as hundreds of thousands of demonstrators gather during a protest calling for the ouster of President Mohamed Morsi.
See more. [Credit: Mohamed Abd El Ghany/Reuters, Khaled Desouki/AFP/Getty Images]
- “Those writers who speak for and with their age are able to do so with a great deal more ease and grace than those who speak counter to prevailing...”
- “I would say that the moment an object appears in a narrative, it is charged with a special force and becomes like the pole of a magnetic field, a...”